Monday, June 15, 2009

Iran

Being the political-blog junkie that I am, I've been following the Iranian "election" rather closely in the past few days.

For anyone who hasn't been following, this is the basic gist:

1. Somewhat-more moderate candidate (Mousavi) for president of Iran runs against the holocaust-denying, U.S.-hating, and all-around dickhead incumbent President Ahmadinejad.

2. Mousavi gets unprecedented Obama-like support from college students, young professionals, etc. who are sick of Iran being hated around the world. Mousavi takes what looks like a lead in the polls (although the polls were quite unreliable).

3. On Friday--election day--Ahmadinejad (who has the support of the military, the ruling clerics, the militias...etc.) unexpectedly massacres Mousavi 65%-35%, including winning Mousavi's home district handily and several areas that haven't voted for an established conservative candidate in...ever, really. Hmmmm.

4. People start to get a bit pissed. All hell breaks loose. Protests in the street get attacked by police. The cops break into the dorms at Tehran university and beat the shit out of/arrest students. And kill five of them. Mousavi holds a big rally Monday (today) and appears at it. The streets are filled with hundreds of thousands of protestors.

I find it very hard to concentrate on work when I watch what might be a revolution unfolding. It's exciting, scary, and a bit depressing. I feel pathetic sitting watching the live blogging of it (warning: some graphic photos/videos) from my desk in Canada while thousands of students my age and younger are out in the streets getting beaten bloody and shot for some semblance of democracy and human rights. I guess there's nothing I can really do--what, am I going to fly to Iran and fight in the streets?--but its that classic internet-age paradox of being able to know everything about anything while staying distant and uninvolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment