Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Craigslist, piano rock, and intergroup relations

So, for those who don't know (most of you?) I have been invited down to Boston over the weekend to attend a sorority formal and go see this man:



He's been a musical hero of mine since way back in my high school days...even if I much prefer him with his old band. Needless to say, I'm excited--although I'm hoping his setlist isn't too heavy on his newest album. Not a huge fan.

I was originally planning on taking Greyhound down there, as I normally do, until I found out that for some reason the price has gone up to a whopping $200 for a round trip. WTF, Greyhound, don't you know there's a recession goin' on?

So, desperate, I searched Craigslist's rideshare area and managed to find someone going down to Boston at around the same time I was. Now this is a McGill guy, so I'm not worried, but there's something rather sketchy about doing ANYTHING except buying random household items off Craigslist--and this coming from a long time Missed Connections reader and onetime Missed Connection. I feel like I should ask to meet this guy for coffee before we go, but I'm worried he might think I was trying to use Craigslist for some of its, er, other notable functions. I'm facing a Paul Rudd-esque dilemma: how do you ask another straight man out for a platonic friend-date? Or, in this case, a platonic you're-not-a-crazy-killer-are-you date?

In other news, I have a final exam tomorrow that I'm having serious issues studying for. I would, however, recommend one of the texts in the class for anyone with time on their hands (aka nobody):



It's a really interesting perspective on WHY exactly minority and other disadvantaged groups are doing so poorly in society. He basically lays blame at the feet of a decimated sense of collective identity in these groups. I think he tends to oversimplify the situation a bit, and the book occasionally descends into "old man ranting about e-mail and modern life" mode (he actually does this quite frequently in class as well), but the man is a force to be reckoned with and his ideas are powerful stuff.

Now I just have to convince myself to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment